By: Omar Arellano
This recipe is inspired by my close friend @miramayraart for her art titled “Chicano Pop” . The piece is an artwork full of color and flavor and so I made a Chicano Pop TART!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
For the filling:
2 cups of pineapple (half of a pineapple diced)
2 cups of mangoes (2 mangoes peeled and diced)
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
For the dough:
2 3/4 cups flour
2 sticks of cold butter
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cups cold water
1 egg (you’ll need to brush your pastry)
For the icing:
2 eggs white
2 cups powdered sugar
Tajin garnish (optional)
1. Take your diced fruit and add that into a small sauce pan with your sugar and water.
2. Simmer the mixture for at least 1 hour on a medium low heat or until your sauce is nice and thick.
3. Remove sauce from pan and let it cool down (I suggest leaving it in the fridge overnight). Once cooled, use a blender to blend to a smooth consistency.
1. Combine 2 and 3/4 cups flour and a pinch of salt
2. Cut your cold 2 sticks of butter into a small dice and incorporate it in your flour until you can’t feel the butter and your dough is nice and flakey.
3. Add your ½ cup of cold water and knead your dough for about 5-6 minutes until it becomes smooth and supple.
4. Let the dough rest for one hour.
To make the pop tarts:
1. Roll out your dough to 1/4 of inch thickness and at least into a 14 inch square (try your best, no one’s perfect)
2. Cut your dough into 3×4 inch rectangles (you should get at least 12 rectangles)
3. On half of your pastries put a tablespoon of your filling and spread it nice and evenly, leave a little bit of room on the edges for your egg wash.
4. Beat one egg and brush the edges of your pastries and place your leftover pastry dough on top of the others with the fillings.
5. Close shut all along the edges of the dough with a fork
6. MAKE SURE TO POKE HOLES WITH A TOOTHPICK ON TOP OF YOUR PASTRY.
7. Brush your pastry with a beaten egg before putting it into the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (or until golden brown).
8. Let cool for an hour.
1. Whisk 2 cups of powdered sugar and 2 egg whites in a mixer until combined and silky smooth.
2. Put your desired icing onto the pastry and put into your fridge for 20 minutes for the icing to harden.
Hope y’all enjoy 🤘🤓
To keep up with Comida Radio, follow him on Instagram at @comidaradio. Check out his playlist on Spotify and have an experience!