By: Ventura Lopez IV
The holidays are just around the corner and I don’t know about you but to me Mac-n-Cheese is the perfect holiday meal side dish. Mac-n-Cheese is the perfect comfort food because its warm, cheesy, and always hits the spot.
Because I love this dish, I have developed a recipe based off of three to four years of experimentation. It’s simple, effortless, tastes like home, and is sure to please the cheese lover. Enjoy!
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes
2 Bags of medium pasta shells
2/3 cup of pasta water
4 tbs Butter
3 tbs Flour
2 ½ Cups Milk
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 ¼ Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
1 Cup Shredded White Cheddar Cheese
½ Cup Parmasean
1 ½ tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Paprika
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 tsp Garlic Powder
¼ Cup Grated Parmesan
- Begin to boil pasta for 8-10 mins, or just before al dente, save ⅔ cup of pasta water, strain pasta and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and butter or spray down a 9×11 baking dish to ensure pasta does not stick when baking.
- Begin the sauce, add 2 tbsp butter and let it melt and right as it begins to sizzle, add your 3 tablespoons of flour slowly, mixing to combine.
- Once the butter and flour are combined, begin to add your ⅔ cup pasta water and combine, we now have a roux that is going to make this sauce creamy and velvety.
- Add your milk and cream slowly to the mixture while stirring. Let simmer for 3 mins.
- Bring the heat to a medium low and begin to add the cheese little by little to get an even melt.
- Add the pasta into the cheese sauce, stirring to combine.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Begin the topping process by melting 2 tbsp butter in the microwave or stove, once melted add breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder and combine.
- Add the macaroni to the pan and top it with the breadcrumbs, bake for 30 mins until golden brown and crispy.
I hope you all enjoy eating and making this dish just as much as I do! Check out Dine361.com for more and let us know what recipes you would like to see me make next! Tag us on instagram @dine.361 and show us your attempt at this awesome dish!